Life on a Maine island presents challenges, like transportation and services, as well as the benefits of a tight community and rich culture. We’ll learn about what sets island living apart, and hear about a new play that portrays a Maine island community.
- Susan Minot, novelist, short story writer, poet, playwright, screenwriter and painter who lives part of the year in North Haven and has written and produced a play about life on an island that will debut in North Haven.
- Karen Burns, chief talent officer, Island Institute, and resident of Vinalhaven Island
- Eva Murray, writer, teacher, baker, EMS, resident of Matinicus Island
- On Island: Bestselling Author Susan Minot Debuts Original Play On Island at Waterman's Community Center on North Haven Island
- Maine's 15 year-round island communities
- Boston Globe: Maine islands using grants to attract new residents
- New York Times: Life on an Island: Silence, Beauty and a Long Wait for the Ferry
- Huffington Post: What It’s Really Like To Live On A Tiny Island Off The Coast Of Maine
- New England Today: 5 Maine Islands to Visit This Summer