© 2022 Maine Public
header.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Smoking Blamed for South Portland Apartment Fire

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine - The improper disposal of smoking materials is being blamed on a fire at a South Portland apartment building.

The two-alarm fire broke out in the four-unit building on Grandview Avenue just after 10 p.m. Sunday.

Lt. Robb Couture said in a statement that three of the four units were occupied and all the residents made it out safely.

He says the fire started on a porch in the rear of the building and extended to the main structure. The porch and a utility room were heavily damaged by fire, while three of the units sustained smoke and water damage.

The building had working smoke detectors.

No initial estimates of damage were available.

The Portland and Scarborough fire departments assisted.