July 10, 2020: Pandemic-Delayed Primaries Are Finally Upon Us
Morning Edition's Irwin Gratz spoke with Maine Public's Chief Political Correspondent Steve Mistler and Senior Political Reporter Mal Leary ahead of Maine's state primary Tuesday.
For a lot of Mainers, Tuesday will be just another day, thanks to the fact they've sent in absentee ballots. But those who do go to the polls will be part of a practice run for a November election that will likely still be affected by the pandemic.
There are a couple of key, contested races to be decided Tuesday. Maine Public’s politics team fills us in.
- WATCH: Democrats Vying For U.S. Senate Nomination Face Off In Maine Public Debate
- From the Washington Post: Trump who? Senate GOP candidates in tight races avoid any mention of the president in campaign ads.
- WATCH: Gloves Come Off In 2nd District Republican Primary Debate
- Your Vote 2020 - Primary Candidates: Sara Gideon & Betsy Sweet
- Your Vote 2020 - Primary Candidates: Bre Kidman & Eric Brakey
- Your Vote 2020 - Primary Candidates: Adrienne Bennett & Dale Crafts
- Pine Tree Watch: "Grappling for a Golden opportunity"
- Cook Political Report: New July 2020 Electoral College Ratings
- Maine sees partisan split on absentee ballots as many Republicans wait to vote in person
- Maine Lawmakers Clash Over Scope Of Special Session
- Maine Legislature could return by August to stamp virus response
- Former Maine Gov. Paul LePage Declares Residency In Maine
You can find more about the upcoming elections through Maine Public’s Your Vote 2020 coverage. And, of course, Maine Public will feature coverage of the primaries throughout your Tuesday and on Wednesday morning.
Maine's Political Pulse was produced this week by Willis Ryder Arnold. Caitlin Troutman is the digital producer. The theme music was performed and recorded by Rob Holt.