Maine offers an abundance of summertime recreation that is centered around water — from swimming and boating to surfing, in pools, lakes and the ocean. We address essential safety considerations for all ages that are not always heeded or understood.
Suzi Boccanfuso, head swim coach, Casco Bay branch of the YMCA of Southern Maine in Freeport; stroke coach for renowned ocean swimmer Pat Gallant-Charrette
Carrie Bonnefond, CEO, instructor and instructor trainer, Lighthouse Health & Safety, a American Red Cross licensed training provider and strategic partner
Capt. Scott Bartlett, director of operations, Freedom Boat Club of Maine
Cpl. John MacDonald (by phone), public information officer, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, Bureau of Warden Service
- BoatUS Foundation: Life Jackets
- National Center for Cold Water Safety: What is Cold Water?
- YMCA of Southern Maine adult swim lessons
- American Red Cross: A Century in Aquatics
- Slate: Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning
- Maine Healthy Beaches Guide to Safer Swimming in Maine pamphlet
- Maine.gov swimming information
- DiscoverBoating.com safe boating tips