The Mission of Maine Public
- Maine Public will inform, inspire, and delight.
- We will be recognized throughout Maine and beyond as an organization that has made a distinct difference by focusing in a disciplined manner on the issues most important to Maine and by being relentless in pursuit of the truth about them. We will also be noted for the consistent quality of the cultural and entertainment programming that we provide through collaborations with other organizations and independent producers.
- We will continue to be regarded as a superb financial steward by all of our supporters, investing resources wisely across our multiple services: Web, radio, TV, and print. We will creatively build on the value created by PBS, NPR, and other organizations to deliver rich, rewarding content.
- Maine Public will be known throughout Maine as an organization that listens and acts accordingly.
- Our enterprise will help lead Maine toward its bright future.
- Civic Engagement — We view our responsibility to promote awareness and participation in the democratic process as supremely important. We actively seek to make the workings of government and public conversation as accessible as possible.
- Creativity — We recognize the critical role that creativity plays in our organization’s life, as well as the broader world. We support and nurture the kind of risk-taking and innovation that are hallmarks of a creative environment.
- Ethical Standards — We maintain an unwavering commitment to fairness, transparency, tolerance, diversity, and accountability in everything we do.
- Lifelong Learning — We believe in the power of knowledge to transform lives and promote greater understanding. We endeavor to maximize the opportunities available to the public to participate in a culture of learning throughout their lives.
- Public Service — We take our role as stewards of the public trust very seriously. We strive to build value in the communities we serve through initiatives and programming that have the public interest at heart.
The Maine Public Brand
Maine Public is our State's leading source of trusted insight and content about Maine and the world.
Public radio and television broadcasting in the United States is organized as a cooperative of community-based stations which pool resources to create shared national programming and individually serve the needs of their communities. Maine Public serves Maine and also reaches most of New Brunswick, Canada, and parts of New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Through its radio, television, educational, and Web services, Maine Public provides ideas, information, and lifelong learning to a diverse public. The majority of these services are available to everyone at no charge. Hundreds of thousands of people find value in Maine Public’s services every day. Private donations — including those received from radio members, television members, program sponsors, and contributors of unrestricted gifts — comprise the largest source of revenue for the organization. The membership base alone totals over 60,000 individuals and families who form the largest nonprofit membership group in the state. In addition, thousands of volunteers donate their time and talents to the organization every year.
Formation of Maine Public
Maine Public was formed in 1992 through the merger of the educational radio and television stations provided by the University of Maine System and WCBB public television operated by Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin Colleges. Maine Public is an independently owned and operated 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with office and studio locations in Bangor, Lewiston, and Portland, Maine.
President & CEO
Clare E. Hannan
Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Vice President & Chief Development Officer
Chief Technology Officer
Director of Marketing & Business Development
News & Public Affairs Director
Director of Human Resources
Director of Content & Programming Operations