On the eve of the Fourth of July, we check in with the Maine State Fire Marshal Joseph Thomas to learn how to stay fire-safe this summer. We’ll discuss how high the fire danger is this summer, and how to handle fireworks safely. We’ll also get an update on the best smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, and other home safety devices and measures.
Guest: Joe Thomas joined the Fire Marshal’s Office in 2000 after a 28-year career with the Portland Fire Department, including eight as chief. He was appointed Maine State Fire Marshal in 2012.
- You can request smoke alarm installation at SoundTheAlarm.org/Maine
- Fireworks laws around the state
- Maine Forest Service Wildfire Danger Report
- AARP Maine and American Red Cross: Teaming up on Fire Safety & Scam Prevention
- Shortage of emergency dispatchers prompts Maine to consider improving benefits
- Maine Home Fire Campaign - The American Red Cross
- After blaze in New Gloucester, chief sounds alarm about shortage of firefighters