Moon Landing: Marking 50 Years Since the Apollo Mission Put a Man on the Moon
July 20, 2019, marks the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. Join us as we learn about the tremendous undertaking that were the Apollo missions, and hear listener memories of one of the most momentous days in human history.
Friday evening at the Portland Sea Dogs game, Maine Public Morning Edition host Irwin Gratz and astronaut and Mainer Christopher Cassidy will discuss the U.S. Space program and view clips on the Sea Dog scoreboard from the PBS “Chasing the Moon” documentary. Irwin will join us on Maine Calling to share his interest in the space program and his recollections of the moon landing.
Nancy Atkinson, author, "Eight Years to The Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions;" Atkinson hass been with Universe Today since 2004 and writes for Ad Astra.
Shawn Laatsch, director, Emera Astronomy Center, University of Maine
- PBS: "Chasing The Moon"
- "Eight Years to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions," by Nancy Atkinson
- Emera Astronomy Center and M.F. Jordan Planetarium
- Moon, Mars, and Maine! Celebrating 50 years of Apollo and Maine’s connections to space exploration
- The True Story of 'Hidden Figures' and the Women Who Crunched the Numbers for NASA
- NASA.gov: The Apollo Missions
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory: All Current Spacecraft Missions
- Space News: The Latest in Space Exploration and Maine's Role in Space Innovation
- bluShift Aerospace
- Audible: The Man Who Knew the Way to the Moon
- Fly Me To The Moon: Apollo 11 And The Unsung Hero Who Made It Happen
- "When We Were Apollo"