Next year Maine Public will be travelling to Sicily -- May 15 – 24, 2019
- $5,982 per person double occupancy
- $495 single supplement
May 14 | Depart the US
Day 1 (May 15) | Palermo
- Arrive in Palermo and check into our hotel.
Day 2 (May 16) | Palermo and Monreale
- Full day exploring Palermo and surrounding towns. Visit to the market.
- Meet a North African refugee and hear his story on how he came to Sicily by boat and what happened to his family and friends.
- Go on a short trip to Monreale for lunch and visit the cathedral.
- Return to Palermo for a private tour and backstage visit of the Massimo Theatre.
- Enjoy a welcome drink of granita and appetizers and a Q & A with Mark Vogelzang on the panoramic terraces of the Theater followed by a private concert with regional opera artists.
- Dinner in Palermo on your own. (B, L, drink and appetizers)
Day 3 (May 17) | Castelbuono and Cefalu
- Travel to the small medieval town of Castelbuono and lunch at a wonderful restaurant.
- In the afternoon visit the beautiful coastal town of Cefalu.
- Dinner on your own.
- Night at our hotel in Palermo (B, L)
Day 4 (May 18) | Ragusa
- Check out of our hotel and head to Ragusa.
- On the way, stop in PIazza Armerina and visit the Roman Villa and its famous mosaics.
- Lunch nearby and return to hotel in Ragusa to relax, enjoy the pool or perhaps the spa.
- Dinner at a renowned seafood restaurant on the beach. (B, L, D)
Day 5 (May 19) | Ragusa and Scicli
- Relax in the morning at our hotel.
- Explore the beautiful countryside of Ragusa and participate in a cooking class
- of bread making and pasta at a winery where we have lunch.
- Visit a greenhouse famous for its aromatic herbs, in the beautiful small town of Scicli.
- Return to the hotel to enjoy a pizza night at a wood burning oven pizzeria on the terrace.
- Maine Public’s Irwin Gratz (pictured) joins the tour with a talk on the night sky.
- (B, cooking class, L, D)
Day 6 (May 20) | Modica and Ibla
- Visit the Baroque towns of Modica and Ibla.
- Take in a memorable chocolate tasting in Modica.
- A light lunch with all the typical bakery products, cheeses and cured meats in Ibla.
- Tour Ibla and then visit a private house for a small concert with a cocktail and appetizers, before returning to the hotel.
- Dinner on your own.
- (B, L, cocktail and appetizers)
Day 7 (May 21) | Siracusa and Taormina
- Walking tour of Siracusa, then visit the Spice Market and have a street food lunch experience. Our guide then takes us around in the old town surrounded by the sea.
- Travel to Taormina and check in at hotel.
- Enjoy dinner in Taormina.
Day 8 (May 22) | Taormina, Savoca and Castelmola
- Explore Taormina and the beautiful surrounding villages starting with Savoca, the small town famous for being the set for the movie The Godfather, then go to Castelmola, the medieval section and highest part of Taormina.
- Lunch on your own.
- Visit the famous Greek Theatre and the historic center of Taormina.
- Tonight is our farewell dinner. (B, D)
Day 9 (May 23) | Etna and Taormina
- Explore the Etna Volcano. Enjoy a guided easy walk along the summit craters, then head to a lower elevation to enjoy Cavanera, a state-of-the-art winery, visiting their centennial pre-phylloxera vines.
- Lunch is paired with the best selection of Etna wines.
- Return to Taormina for some private time before a goodbye cocktail. (B, L, cocktail)
Depart for the US on May 24
- One transfer to and from the airport
- Tour leader throughout the tour and guides
- 4 and 5 star accommodations
- Breakfast included, other meals as listed in the itinerary as L = Lunch, D = Dinner)
- Talks as listed in the itinerary
- All entrances and admissions
- Tips for the driver, guides and for all meals listed in the itinerary
What’s not included:
- International flight
- Additional meals and beverages not listed on itinerary, or not part of the chosen menu at meals
- Individual hotel expenses (mini bar, room service, laundry, Internet, optional gratuity for hotel housekeeping staff, etc.)
- Anything not listed in the itinerary
To get started, contact: