Augusta Woman Burned in Cooking Fire Dies

Jun 6, 2014

Authorities say an 81-year-old Augusta woman severely burned in a cooking fire at her home last month has died.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland says Lorraine White died May 30 at Maine Medical Center in Portland where she was being treated for burns.

White was injured May 7 when her clothes caught fire while she was cooking with an electric oven inside her home.

Fire officials tell the Kennebec Journal the fire started when White opened the oven door to remove an item. The fire was out by the time firefighters arrived and there was little damage to the building.

White was a former nurse in the Air Force, according to her obituary.