© 2021 Maine Public
header.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Courts and Crime

Victim: Police Could Have Prevented Maine Shooting Spree

BENEDICTA, Maine - The young woman who police say was kidnapped during a violent rampage in northern Maine says she believes that law enforcement could have prevented the shooting spree that left two dead.

Brittany Irish told reporters Wednesday that last week's shooting rampage occurred after she told police that 35-year-old Anthony Lord had kidnapped her and sexually assaulted her. Irish says she urged state police to keep a car outside the family's home before Lord stormed the home and shot and killed her boyfriend, but she was told they didn't have the resources to do that.

State police declined to comment Tuesday on those allegations, which Irish's parents first made in an interview Monday with The Associated Press. A police spokesman didn't immediately return a request for comment Wednesday.

The AP doesn't typically identify people who say they were sexually assaulted, but Brittany Irish consented to being identified, saying she wanted the full story to be told.