© 2024 Maine Public

Bangor Studio/Membership Department
63 Texas Ave.
Bangor, ME 04401

Lewiston Studio
1450 Lisbon St.
Lewiston, ME 04240

Portland Studio
323 Marginal Way
Portland, ME 04101

Registered 501(c)(3) EIN: 22-3171529
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Scroll down to see all available streams.

LePage Says He'd Rather Go To Jail Than Expand Medicaid And Put Maine In 'Red Ink'

Robert F. Bukaty
/
Associated Press
Mainers for Health Care rally outside the State House prior to Gov. Paul LePage's State of the State address, Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018, in Augusta, Maine.

Maine's fiscally conservative governor says he'd rather go to jail before expanding Medicaid and putting the state in "red ink.''

Gov. Paul LePage, a Republican, told WVOM Radio Tuesday that he can't be forced to expand eligibility for Medicaid without an approved funding plan. 

"Nobody can force me to put the state in red ink," LePage said. "And I will not do that.  So, you can tell the Maine people, I'd go to jail before I put the state in red ink."

Earlier this month, LePage vetoed a bill lawmakers approved to fund the program.  An effort to override the veto failed. 

Meanwhile, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court hears oral arguments next week on LePage's appeal of a ruling requiring him to submit paperwork to federal officials that would start the flow of federal dollars.  

Washington will pay 90 percent of the cost of expanded benefits under the Affordable Care Act. But LePage says the Maine Legislature needs to come up with an acceptable plan to pay the other 10 percent, plus the cost of administration.

Nearly three out of five voters last fall voted to expand Medicaid to 80,000 Mainers by July 2. Advocates are encouraging Mainers to sign up.
 
The Associated Pres contributed to this story.

Ed is a Maine native who spent his early childhood in Livermore Falls before moving to Farmington. He graduated from Mount Blue High School in 1970 before going to the University of Maine at Orono where he received his BA in speech in 1974 with a broadcast concentration. It was during that time that he first became involved with public broadcasting. He served as an intern for what was then called MPBN TV and also did volunteer work for MPBN Radio.