We speak with female legislators, both new and experienced, about the issues they will focus on. We’ll also talk about what it means that a record number of women will be serving in the Maine Legislature.
Rep. Chloe Maxmin, Democrat, newly elected to Maine’s House of Representatives for District 88, representing Jefferson, Whitefield, Chelsea and part of Nobleboro
Rep. Sara Gideon, Democrat, re-elected as Speaker of the Maine House of Representatives for District 48, representing part of Freeport and Pownal
Rep. Kathleen Dillingham, Maine House Republican Leader for District 72, representing Mechanic Falls, Otisfield and Oxford
Emily Cain (by phone), former Maine House minority leader and State senator, executive director of Emily’s List in Washington, D.C.
- New Crop Of Maine Lawmakers Sworn In, Leaders Elected
- Press Herald: Voters elect women in record numbers, across Maine and the nation
- Central Maine: Democrats assume control of Maine Legislature, select leaders and top state officers
- National Conference of State Legislatures: Women in State Legislatures for 2018
- New York Times: ‘Year of the Woman’ Indeed: Record Gains in the House
- New York Times: The Thrill of a Women’s Wave
- The Nation: What a Rural Maine House Race Can Teach the Left