Teen Accused of Sending Threatening Emails Released
PORTLAND, Maine - The Windham teenager suspected of sending threatening emails to the local school district earlier this year, prompting a three-day shutdown, was released from custody today, under certain conditions.
After an hour-long detention hearing at Cumberland County Juvenile Court, District Court Judge Peter Darvin decided that 16-year-old Justin Woodbury could be handed into the care of his parents, without posing a threat to the community or himself.
Assistant District Attorney Michelle McCulloch says Woodbury will be tightly supervised, but she still has concerns. "Well, just the nature of the threats that were made," she says. "Certainly, in this day and age those types of threats made anytime to a school are going to raise a level of concern to the state."
A follow-up hearing is set for July 23 to discuss how the case will be brought to trial. Woodbury faces two counts of Class C felony terrorizing.