Maine History: After Statehood In 1820 Through The Civil War
We continue our bicentennial coverage of Maine history, spanning the road to statehood to the current day.
In this segment, our panel of historians explains how Maine evolved in the pivotal years between becoming a state in 1820 through Maine's involvement in the Civil War. We'll learn about the pivotal figures of the day, and how Maine's cultural, economic and political landscape evolved during the 19th century.
Earle Shettleworth, longtime Maine State Historian
Liam Riordan, professor of history, University of Maine
- Maine Historical Society: 1820-1850, A New State And Prosperity
- Maine Historical Society: 1850-1870, The Civil War
- Bowdoin Exhibition: Maine’s Lithographic Landscapes: Town & City Views, 1830-1870
- Governors of Maine, 1820 -
- Maine State Archives: The Civil War
- Cranky Civil War Veterans Return to New England