COVID-19 Impacts: Child Care
This is a special two-hour Maine Calling program in response to the pressing issues facing Maine during the coronavirus crisis. For the second hour, click here.
As Maine feels the life-altering effects of the coronavirus crisis, most workplaces, businesses and schools are shutting down. But this raises a new set of challenges.
In the first hour of Monday's show, we address the child care dilemma that is facing Maine during this difficult time. Many who must continue to work — from those in the service industry and emergency workers to health care providers — still need care for their young children. Child care centers are finding themselves taking on more children, even as schools are mostly closed at this point. We'll learn how the state and the individual child care centers are addressing the pressing child care issues facing Maine.
Tara Williams, executive director, Maine Association for the Education of Young Children
Todd Landry, director, Office of Child and Family Services, Maine Department of Health & Human Services
Tracye Fortin (call-in), director, Educare
Rita Furlow (call-in), senior policy analyst, Maine Children’s Alliance
Meagan Hamblett (call-in), executive director, YMCA Alliances of Maine and New Hapmshire/Vermont
Sasha Shunk (call-in), board member, Family Child Care Association of Maine; owner, Shunk Child Care in Portland
- Maine Attorney General issues statement about day care providers and consumers amid coronavirus pandemic
- Child Care Centers in Mass. to Close Monday
- Maine Department of Health and Human Services: Child and Family Services COVID-19 Response
- Maine Public Deep Dive: Out Of Reach: Maine's Child Care Affordability Problem
- YMCA of Southern Maine closes 4 branches over concerns about virus
- Maine Roads to Quality: Warmline at 1-844-209-5964 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Congress must supply $100 billion to aid COVID-19 front line care
- Maine Association For The Education Of Young Children
- Coronavirus Triple Duty: Working, Parenting, And Teaching From Home