Former Guard Chief Disputes Report That He Misled Public
AUGUSTA, Maine — A spokesman for the former head of Maine's National Guard says Brig. Gen. James Campbell did not lie when he pushed a plan to replace the 133rd engineering battalion with an infantry unit because of federal budget cuts.
The Portland Press Herald reported that documents obtained through a public records request show that Campbell floated the plan to swap the units in 2013, months before the Obama administration proposed troop cuts.
Campbell spokesman Lance Dutson says Campbell was made aware of Obama's proposed cuts before the plan was released to the public last year.
Gov. Paul LePage fired Campbell on Tuesday after reviewing the documents prepared for the Press Herald, saying he'd lost faith in Campbell's ability to lead the guard.